Thursday, November 8, 2012

Just three questions...

Yesterday I attended mass after work at a church 5 minutes away from my office. I have attended mass service after work here in the past and I was always shocked at how short the service was. The priest who usually celebrates mass there does not perform a homily after the gospel nor is there any type of singing (all of which I am accustomed to). The entire celebration usually lasts 15-20 minutes. However, the most important part is the Eucharist and being able to receive it after work when I can't make it to mass in the morning is wonderful. 

Yesterday when I arrived to the church, I was surprised to see a new priest. I don't know if he was just visiting or if this was a permanent change. Either way, he gave a great service with an awesome homily. In the homily he reflected on the gospel where it stated, "In the same way,everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple." He discussed how Luke is not telling us to become homeless and literally sell all of our material things. However, he is telling us the importance of making Jesus first in our lives. Then he asked us three questions...

1) Who wants to go to heaven?

We all raised our hands. Of course we want to go to heaven!! After all that is our ultimate goal, isn't it?? Then he asked,

2) Who wants to go to heaven tonight?

Only 3 people raised their hands and there were several chuckles throughout the pews. We realized the importance and reality of this question. Some of us are in love with "this" life so much more than we realize and that is going against what Luke is telling us in the gospel. Some of us might also think, Wait, I just need more time to prepare myself for the kingdom of God! I, myself, am guilty of thinking this at times. Then came the final question, in which he asked us to answer in our thoughts,  

3) Who is your best friend tonight?

*image not mine*
I automatically thought about my husband. I am always telling him he is my best friend and he is the closest person to me. However, I also knew what the correct answer should have been. Jesus. I am supposed to have Jesus as my best friend. The priest asked for a show of hands of those who thought of Jesus. Only a few. 

He continued to tell us an amazing story of a priest, who became a cardinal, who had been in the concentration camps for 37 years. However, I kept thinking about the questions. How do I make Jesus my best friend? How do I make Him a part of my every breath and not just my go to friend? 

Be blessed,
Clare 

No comments:

Post a Comment